Filming and Commercials

Permitting Process for Filming in State Parks
Humboldt Redwoods State Park offers spectacular scenery, making it a popular place to film still shoots, commercials, movies, and other videos. State Parks is an ideal setting for filming and still photography. A variety of filming locations are available throughout the park. A California State Parks Film Commission Permit is required. The California Film Commission (CFC) works in conjunction with Parks to permit these activities.

Parks charge reimbursement fees in order to accommodate filming and to offset personnel costs. These fees are collected and returned to Parks by the CFC. The CFC provides its services, the location and the permit at no cost.

Permitting Process: State Parks staff receives a phone call from a production company. Parks initiates a DPR245A and also refers callers to begin a permit on-line with the California Film Commission

The CFC’s website, has a State Permits tab that contains information about filming including insurance coverage, FAQ’s, basic Parks fees and the on-line film permit system.

The CFC receives either a phone call or an application from a production company. The CFC refers them to the Park and provides them a contact name, email address and phone number for the Park. Once the application is reviewed by the CFC, a copy is emailed to the Park. The application verifies the information on the DPR245A. Parks then collects a signature on the DPR245A from the production company and provides a final copy to the CFC. Additionally Parks determines which fees and reimbursements to charge and notifies the CFC with fee details.

The CFC finalizes the permit and creates an invoice based on the fees assigned by the Park. The CFC collects the fees and issues the final permit. A copy of both is forwarded to the Park and to the accounting office for Parks.
Late or Tardy Permits – even with a completed DPR245A, the CFC requires a minimum of 4 business days to process applications.

Contact Supervising Ranger Greg Hall at (707) 845-5784 for more information.